Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Circular Needles Organizer

Like many knitters, I struggled with organizing my circular needles.  Over the years, I'd accumulated a small collection of circular needles.  They are the only needles I ever use.

I never found a way to store them satisfactorily other than ziplock bags.  I put them in sandwich size bags and labelled needle size with permanent markers on the bags, and put them all in a gallon size ziplock bag. I like ziplock bags so much that I use them for all my project bags too. I love that I can tell what's inside the bags and that they're waterproof.


But it's kind annoying sometimes that I have to dig through the gallon size bag to find the right size needles. So, I'd been wanting a better organize. Finally, I got my acts together and sewed up couple of them yesterday.


I bought some clear vinyl (gauge 8) from fabric store and used my serger to serge up the vinyl cases. Found some tips online to tape under the presser foot using scotch tape for better vinyl sewing.  Each page has pockets both front and back.  The top of each page has overlapping flap to keep the needles from falling out.  Pockets on the inside of fabric cover for storing I don't know what, maybe the few double point needles that I use as cable needles.

I put masking tape on the edge as tabs that mark needle sizes of each page.  I can remove them later and sew on something more permanently.




I really love my new organizers.  Good size pages/pockets in see-through plastic, just the way I like it.  And now I don't have to dig out small bags, or pour everything out to look for the right size needles any more!


1 comment:

  1. Nice work ! I use kind of the same system, with CD cases. Works well.

    ReplyDelete