Saturday, March 27, 2010

Spring Break

I couldn't wait to see the ocean. For my spring break we drove down along the central coast of California. We started at Half Moon Bay and drove down Hwy 1. Stopped at Santa Cruz for one day, then drove through Big Sur. Next day we stayed at San Luis Obispo. Santa Barabara was the last stop of the trip. Along the way we checked out some Missions, the one in Carmel, then Santa Ines in Solvang, then the one at Santa Barbara. I love the sunny weather and miss the ocean smell.

I was getting claustrophobic at Santa Cruz. I cannot believe how crowded and built up it has become since I moved away from it 18 years ago. It has changed so much. The spill over from SF/Silicon Valley has dramatically changed the character of the town. The money, the sense of entitlement, the self congratulatory feeling was getting to us. We couldn't wait to get out of there after just one day.

We drove through 17 miles. It was the first time for both of us. It was a surreal combination of amazing seascape with the ultra-rich golf community. I was so happy to walk through some tidepools.

Big Sur was as dramatic as I'd imagined. Crazy as it sounds, I love the ocean, and I lived in California for 15 years of my life but I'd never been near Big Sur. The coastline was just breathtaking. Fortunately Paul was doing the driving so I got to enjoy the view.

Both San Luis Obispo and Santa Babara are such livable towns. The weather was gorgeous, the pace somewhat slower than big cities, yet not lacking in things to do. But of course totally unaffordable for most people. We had some amazing food in Santa Barbara, probably the best on our trip.

The hightlights of the trip was the beaches and visiting the missions. The history the work that went into to first building them and then to restore them. One couldn't help but tried to imagine what the landscape was like back then.

Here are some pictures from the first two days. Then I ran out of memory on my camera card.


















No comments:

Post a Comment